What is the Fit Girls Fitness Program?
"Use what you have to run towards your best" - Oprah Winfrey
The Fit Girls Fitness Program is a running and reading program for pre-adolescent girls that:
- Addresses the childhood obesity crisis
- Promotes a love of literature and regular reading habits
- Builds self-esteem and confidence
- Fosters caring and supportive relationships between girls and women
- Encourages girls to give back and connect with community
Our curriculum includes:
- Two one hour workouts per week
- Lively and engaging warm-up activities and games
- A series of stretching exercises
- Non-competitive running/walking workouts designed to gradually build endurance to complete the 5k road race distance (3.1 miles)
- Cool down time for recording progress in training and reading logs
- A "great book of the day" discussion featuring female protagonists who are smart, strong and bold
- The opportunity to learn about and support local literacy or fitness programs.
- The opportunity to share ideas and best practices with other fit girl coaches and volunteers who care about helping girls live healthy, happy and more responsible lives.
At the end of the six week training season, teams of Fit Girls participate in a local 5k race event which serves as a final goal celebrating both fitness and community. Most local races support important nonprofit organizations and causes. The local race directors will be thrilled to have your team run/walk their race.